Whiteheads are form of acne and one of the greatest fears of the beauty – a build-up of oils, serum and dead skin that plugs up your pores. Just like the blackheads, the whiteheads can be also seen in both teenagers and adults. They can be shortly defined as: tiny, pearly, white raised spots formed in the skin where skin cells clog and close a hair follicle (the reason why they are also called “closed comedones”).
Many people mistake whiteheads for pimples as they both look alike but there is a difference because they should be removed very carefully.
The exact cause of whiteheads isn’t still known for sure but most of the dermatologists suggest that they are caused by the accumulation of hardened sebum (oil) in the pores of the skin. If the skin pore closes up then the bacteria will remain under the skin – it will begin to grow and after a few days a whitehead will be formed.
Whiteheads usually occur on different parts of the face, most commonly around the eyes and on the cheeks. Most of the people also get them on the chest, neck and forehead. They are often accompanied with blackheads, pimples and acne.
You should never try to remove alone at home, never! You should know that whiteheads are different from pimples or blackheads. If you try to squeeze the whitehead you may easily break the skin which will result in permanent, reddish scar!
The best way to prevent the formation is to follow a strict skin care regimen, as follows:
- Clean your face at least twice a day with skincare products that are appropriate for your skin type. Use a facial cleanser that contain salicylic acid or alpha hydroxyl acids as there ingredients help in unclogging the pores.
- Exfoliate your skin regularly – twice or three times a week. Apply the exfoliating products all over your face, using light, circular motions concentration on the problem areas of the face forehead, nose and cheeks. Try to find a gentle exfoliator with small particles it will encourage newer, smoother and healthier skin cells to grow, helping to unclog the pores.
- Even if your skin is oily or mixed you should never forget to apply a moisturizer or a hydrating cream.
- Once a week steam your face for a few minutes to cleanse your skin in deep. Steaming is very important to loosen debris that may be embedded into the skin. When steaming the face you wide the clogged pores and soften the skin in order to cleanse more easily the impurities, the traces of makeup, the dust, the sebaceous secretions as well as the dead skin cells.
- You can also use a comedone remover (a comedone extractor ) tool – a handy device to help keep pores free of blackheads and blemishes. It will remove all clogged dark bumps with trapped sebum, bacteria and excess oils dislodging pore blockages leaving skin clear and smooth. This tool should be used immediately after steaming the face.
If you have just a small number of whiteheads don’t do anything – leave them the way they are because sometimes they will go away by themselves in a few days.
The cosmetologists are trained to remove whiteheads and the other forms of acne flawlessly. They use special methods and tools to extract without a risk of skin infections and scarring.
- The first thing the cosmetologist will do is to steam your face – to widen the clogged pores and to soften the skin in order to cleanse more easily the impurities. After steaming it will be more easily to remove the comedones /blackheads, whiteheads/ and the little pimples.
- Then she will use a sterilized needle to gently prick the tip of the whitehead with the needle. A gentle pressure will be needed to ease out the pus. Basically this is to most common way used by the dermatologist and the beauticians to remove the whiteheads. The method resembles the way a pimple is popped but a higher degree of attention is needed.
- whiteheads should be extracted by an experienced esthetician or dermatologist.
- To prevent from forming in the first place, you should use a mild facial cleanser that is oil-free and wash your face at least twice a day.
- Never squeeze or pick at a pimple as doing so may spread the inflammation and leave an ugly red scar behind.
- Use a face cream or moisturizer containing salicylic acid.
- Always look for antibacterial skin care and cosmetic products.
- Use skin care products with benzyl peroxide, salicylic acid or AHAs.
- It’s essential to keep your skin clean all the time in order to prevent the formation.
- Drink plenty of water to keep your skin and body hydrated and to remove the toxins from your skin.
- Always apply a toner after cleansing your face in the morning and in the evening to close the pores.
- there is a difference between a blackhead and a whitehead, blackheads are partly blocked pores and the fully blocked pores are called whiteheads.
- Never try to remove whiteheads at home – this may lead to serious skin infections and permanent scarring.
- usually the whiteheads go away by themselves in a few days.
- Never forget to remove your makeup in the evening; otherwise this may clog the pores resulting in blackheads, whiteheads, pimples and rash appearance.
- Never use harsh facial cleansers, soaps or lotions.
- Always look for noncomedogenic and nonacnegenic skin care and makeup products.
- Like the blackheads, the whiteheads can be seen on the areas around the face, especially around the nose, eyes, cheeks and forehead.
- Never use oil-based makeup precuts as they may contribute to the buildup of oil in the follicles.
- Always apply moisturizer after washing your face.
- Don’t forget to exfoliate your skin once or twice a week with a mild exfoliator to remove the dead skin cells.
- the appearance of your skin is influenced mainly by your skin care routine.
- Always wear a sunscreen or sunblock with SPF at least 15, even during the winter months to protect your skin from the sun’s harmful rays.
- Avoid touching your face with dirty hands – you can transform bacteria and cause inflammation.
- the best way to prevent whiteheads is to keep your skin clean and well moisturized all the time.
- Regular facials can help prevent whiteheads because they will keep your pores clean.
- Do a cleansing face mask once or twice a week.
Using Honey Only
For effective results, first wash your face with warm water and soap. The warm water will open up your pores, allowing the honey to penetrate your skin deep into the pores and remove dirt and oil. Be sure to cover your entire face with the honey, gently massaging your skin.
Allow the honey to absorb into the skin for 10-15 minutes. After the time is up, wash your face with lukewarm water and gently pat dry.
If your skin has many whiteheads, you can massage your problem areas before washing the honey off. Be sure to focus your massaging on areas such as the nose, cheekbones, forehead and other areas that may be prone to whiteheads. While massaging your face the honey may begin to get sticky. If this happens, gently begin to tap your skin. This will open the pores and allow the honey to clean deep into the pores. Wash face with luke warm water when finished.
Honey Combination Masks
Honey does not have to be used alone as a facial mask. It can be combined with other ingredients, such as oatmeal, to reduce them. Mix 2 Tbs of honey with 1 Tbs of oatmeal and warm in the mircowave. Apply the mixture to your face and leave on there for 15-20 minutes. Rinse face with lukewarm water and gently pat dry.
Mixing 1 Tbs of honey with one egg white. Apply mixture to the face for 30 minutes and wash off with lukewarm water.
These remedies are all natural and made from ingredients you can find in your own home. It does not contain any harsh chemicals that can cause dryness and peeling like other products and is a fraction of the cost. Honey not only helps in riding the face, it also moisturizes and leaves the skin glowing, firm, and radiant.
- Wash your face at least twice a day using fresh water.
- Use creams and lotions that contain Salicyclic acid or use antibacterial skin products to keep your skin healthy and infection free.
- Drink lots of water to keep your skin hydrated. Let your skin sweat occasionally. This will open the pores and flush out the bacteria in it.
- Apply toner twice a day morning and evening after washing your face thoroughly. This tightens your pores and keeps them closed.
- Do not touch your face with your hands frequently or fiddle with any of the eruptions; this might lead to infection and whiteheads.
Follow a healthy and energetic routine. Include farm fresh vegetables, fruits and fresh greens in your diet to keep your skin healthy and glowing. Aging and skin problems occur only due to abnormal diet and skin care. Love your skin and pamper it with a nourishing diet to make you look young and beautiful forever.
More about acne
Skin Care Tips
Definition of whiteheads
I LOVE YOUR WEBSITE. THANK YOU SO MUCH YOU HAVE BEEN VERY HELPFUL…. 🙂
i’ve alot of pimples and pimples scar on my forehead.wad can remove it?I wanna remove those scars but i don’t know how. And I wanna use natural products like things I can find at home.
Thanks this is going to help me alot.
I have problems with whiteheads too, glad i’ve found this site. thanks for the useful tips!
Great great great blog! that's all I can say! this is a great informative post and I will be sure to visit here more often!
I read about how to prevent whiteheads from forming and one part said to steam your face. what exactly does that mean because I have whiteheads that seem to be forming daily on my face and just wont seem to go away. I use the clinque acne system face care.
Thanks, this helps! But you forgot to include products you can find in the pharmacy section besides Neutrogena. Neutrogena doesn't work because everyone I know had irritated from it, including me. So I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Just look for your best product you use and look for salicylic acid, which is used to clean pores deep. 🙂
Thank you…this website is so helpful
tnx 4 the tips can you give more how to remove pimples///
I only have a couple of white heads,the info on this link is great,but can you please tell me how they mean to steam your face.Thanks Alot.
thanks very much on that tips. im really had the white head problem..but i still dun hv suitable skin care product suit for me..can sumbody suggest any …of course the affordable one..my skin r combination type.plz…tq
it will help me a lot on how to prevent face problem..thanks i will use your tips daily!!
thanks 4 the useful info guys.it helps me a lot
thanks 4 the useful info guys.it helps me a lot
I'm 64 years young and have hard white pimples on face. I believe they are whiteheads or maybe a cyst.
Can u give me a very eFfEctive and fast tip oN how to whiten my skin with safE pRoceDuRE.. Tnx a lot.. =)
Really good and useful web site thanks soo much..I have previously had white heads removed from a beauty thearpist, but i got them back and am still not sure what sort of facial/cleanser/toner to use. I have come to the stage now where i don't mind paying extra to get rid off them please help before i take DRASTIC action!!
By the way am 24 years old and where ever i look nowadays most skincare is advertised for wrinkles and i don't wana use that stuff just yet..please some one get bck to me…thanks in advance x
thnx alot for all of the tips you wrote on this site….it helps alot, not just for ladies but also for men…would you please give some products that are sold at the pharmacy which helps to remove pimples, whiteheads and blackheads…thnx and more power! 😀
these seem really helpful. i havent tried yet but they make sense and gave me the info i needed:) thanks. try to focus more on whiteheads bc mine are really hard to get rid of. i have had them for years
1.) Have cleansed face with non-comedonic lotion.
2.) Exercise- cardio to build up sweat
3.)Directly follow exercise with steam bath and proper cleansing as mentioned in article.
I have found EXERCISE is key to keeping skin clear- especially for skin prone to acne.
Try it out- I have found when i do not do this, my skin is worse.
Exercise + good skin hygene work wonders
i'm 28 yr old.my face is dry in some area.my nose is very oily and having whiteheads.no glow on my face.i often remove the whiteheads by stick.
I'm 43 year old & suffering from extensive white heads. As if that is not enough, my 12 year old son is getting them as well. Is this normal?
Hi Josh..Try what i have posted above if this works let me know if not il be reseaching myself and also try things on my own face before i advise others. Thanks x
OMG! I read the home remedies for honey and oatmeal and at first I was pesemistic. All my life I had beautifull skin never a pimple until 2 years ago my forehead started geting white heads and I thought it was going to go away. This month it was showing more an I had it! I did research on white heads and I tried the honey and oatmeal and it really works, I could see the diffrence the next day. THANK YOU SO MUCH!
.tanx for diz website….soundz its really true..i probably shud try what you've mentioned above..thank you very much 🙂
Thank u for the tips, I will try them
Interesting post!Been looking for the best solution about whiteheads problems.
I have them all over my cheeks– my Derm just prescribed Differin, a benzyl peroxide wash, and this alcohol pad thing— I've been using it for three weeks, and see a noticeable difference. unfortunately, there's still a couple there =(… BUT he said it wouldnt clear up for FOUR months…. but I guess what's 4 months when you suffered 21 years of acne?
I have these whiteheads all over my face n I m suffering a lot.
i have whiteheads and i am very worried about ds what can i do to get rid of whiteheads???
i have try that (pin needle with a thin size) you're telling here…,,,i find it more convenient to use with whiteheads,,,also i sterilize it first……
My whiteheads are hard, they do not have puss. When using a needle to prick just the top of the whitehead, when I push on it, the whitehead that comes out is a hard ball like thing. So would I treat those just like the ones you describe as puss?
I've visited this page today. I have white heads on and around my nose and cheeks. I'll definitely try honey and powdered milk. Thanks. I learnt lot.
It really worked
-if you really wants a no pain solution,,,try beauty soaps like those low base content,moisturizer soap,,,also it's a long process,,but its worked…healthy lifestyle also a good way…my way was that before i buy a product,,i usually see the back part, those with what's in that product content with…'too much of something leads to misery"…try to think positive..it will past..be clean..not just your body,but also in mind,feeling,and to others,,,don't be plastic 'cause f not your time today maybe tomorrow… there's too many meaning of beauty OK…not just physical..you know what it is,,,try to think…
Thank you for the tips ….. you really help me in removing my whiteheads in my nose !!!!!!i already tell my friends about this thing and its very useful.!!!!!!!!!!!!!! a milion thanks .
i am 32years old, i hv whiteheads in my chest, back and back of my ears,for more than a year. please help me, for the best and fast way to remove it. thanks
definitely gonna tey one of theses remedies!! thanks!!
I have a big problem with whiteheads too i hope a good cleanser might do the trick! * crossed fingers* Tnx for ur help
There is a face steamer you can buy at target, walmart or at the pharmacy im not sure how much it costs but thats what i use and it works! 🙂
I am 19 and from age 13 i have had the most HORRENDOUS whitehead and black head problem, i was very shy at school because i absolutely HATED my face i have shed many tears over having acne that bad and im proud to say after reading all the myths and turning into a mythbuster myself-the BEST advice i have for anyone with the same problem as me is to:
STEAM your face, WASH with luke warm water then as bizarre as it sounds, cover your face in honey-they more the better, DO NOT massage it in, wait for approx 15mins then return to the honey and begin to massage into your skin for approx 5mins. Then wash off with luke warm water and apply lemon juice to your skin.
It sound bizarre but believe me IT WORKS if i could upload a photo i would!
I believe the reason it works so well is because it is all natural ingrediants rather than the chemical Shit we buy for our skin these days. Give it a go i promice it works! (well it did for me 🙂
i will try the honey combination…
Who are asking what to do with whiteheads PLEASE don’t be stupid and read the super helpful tips!
Your website is very helpful. How can I save this piece on how to treat white heads?
I had whiteheads and acne all over my face fews months back. I started using aloe vera and lemon and withing weeks it started disappearing, which eventually made my skin glow and clear. Though i never stopped using aloe vera, the whiteheads again started appearing all over my face forehead and jawline. I switched to honey and lemon then, it did wonders to me and made the whole thing go away. Again now, i started having whiteheads all over, I am fed up! Nothing is working now. Theres no place left on my face to stare upon. I dont know what to do know!